Friday, May 30, 2008

Animals, Animals Everywhere

I confess, I am a little reluctant to post this since it will give my sister even more ammunition with which to tease me. It's bad enough that the chirp thing keeps coming up. . . But it's a funny story, so I'll post it and take the teasing.

As we were driving to school on Tuesday, I heard a small "mew". The radio station we listen to has a "Lost Pets" segment, so I thought that the deejay had hit the wrong button. Then I heard the sound again, louder. I asked Michenna if she had any toys in the car with her. She didn't. By this time the mewing was significantly louder, and Michenna was looking all over the back of the car for a cat. I walked Michenna up to the school, then re-approached my by-now-frantically-mewing car. I looked under the car, but I couldn't see anything. So I popped open the hood. There, sitting on my engine, was a full grown cat. Thankfully the chaplain saw the raised hood and stopped to see if I needed help, so I didn't have to touch the cat.

As far as I can tell, the cat climbed up to the engine from under the car. It had rained all day Monday, and we didn't take the car anywhere, so I assume the cat simply found a warm, dry place to sleep. It must have been terrified when I started the engine.

So, by my count, that's 3 encounters with trapped animals just since April. So if I find a dog in the dryer, or a horse under the table, I'll let you know.

Chirp, (whatever sound a gecko makes), meow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We shall dub you "Frau Dr. Dolittle." What would really be impressive is a dinosaur discovery!

Brad said...

I am so sorry! You really have some of the worst luck with animals.

Was the cat hurt at all or just stressed?

Looking forward to the bird post! LOL!!! Chirp, chirp, chirp! :) I'm not sure that will ever stop amusing me...sorry...kinda.

Susan said...

Wow! I'm glad you're documenting these things now. That way people will believe you when you tell the stories many years from now. :)

I think I'm glad that ants are the only critters that always show up around here. We get lots of geckos when it gets warm outside. Do they hibernate? I think they do. Which makes me wonder, how would an animal hibernate in Guam?

I think I've been hanging out too much at the elementary school. I'm asking too many irrelevant questions. Sorry!

Melanie said...

Wow, those animals really like you guys. Maybe they just want to help you and Michenna not be too lonely while Spencer's gone. I think we have something living in our wall. I think I'd rather have a cat in the engine. At least you can get to it and renove it easily. :)

Gudgell said...

I have just read through your blog for the first time. In reading about where you would like to go, I suggest a stop in Hungary when you go to Germany. We would love to see someone from home. With Spencer's pay increase (I read his blog also today) I am sure you could do both. I will be sure to keep up on what you are doing. I didn't realize until last night that you (Trish) had a blog.
Nan

Melanie said...

Oh man, Trish. I'm totally feeling your pain today with all your animal encounters. We apparently have a bird's nest in our wall, and the entire family of baby birds hatched today. I need a break from chirping birds!