Monday, May 12, 2008

A gecko in the vacuum and a bad pun

Last Thursday when Michenna went into her room to get her PJs, she squealed and yelled, "Mom, there's a gecko on the wall above my bed!" So, while she was in the shower, I was trying to catch a gecko. I moved everything out from under the bed, then the bed (which thankfully has wheels), and then I lost the gecko. I figured that while the bed was out I would vacuum behind there. Well, of course after vacuuming, I spotted the gecko again . . . long story short, after much pursuit on my end, the gecko crawled up inside the roller brush on the front of the vacuum. I was perplexed; I had never dealt with anything like that before. So I took the vacuum out on the porch (it must have been quite a sight for anyone driving by) and SLOWLY rotated the roller until the gecko jumped out. You can guess what my prayers were - "Please don't let the gecko get squished. I really don't want to explain to Spencer that we need a new vacuum because of a gecko." Ah, the unexpected joys of living in Guam.

Last Friday we were getting ready for school and Michenna started pushing the cereal boxes into each other. I said sternly, "Those are not dominos, you know." She replied, "No, Mom, they're 'box'-ing." Then she died laughing.

It's hard to tell where she gets it from. After all, we're all so strait-laced, no sense of humor at all. :)

7 comments:

Elvis said...

My question is, after releasing the gecko, did you save money on your car insurance?

Brad said...

So I'm assuming the gecko left unharmed (and not un-armed) from the vacuum. Yeah, I don't know where Michenna gets the humor. :)

Anonymous said...

No, Elvis, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn once. :)

Susan said...

Please enlighten your poor mother as to why a Holiday Inn and a Gecko are connected.
Grandpa is so proud of Michenna's pun. She's picking it up well. It took me more than 30 years and I only come up with a good one occasionally.

Anonymous said...

Mom, you've got to watch more TV! The Geico gecko saves people money on car insurance (not us, but that's another story). And Holiday Inn had all these crazy commercials about ordinary people being able to do extraordinary things simply because they stayed at a Holiday Inn. And, believe it or not, me doing ANYTHING related to a gecko is extraordinary because (with apologies to my reptile-loving nephew) I don't like geckos. Well, I like them, but from very far away.

Melanie said...

Ha, ha, ha! I love that von Bose humor! :)

Brad said...

I'm pretty sure Hyrum lost consciousness when he saw that you don't like geckos. C'mon Trish, they're just weird lookin' slimy things. Wimp! :)

And they don't even chirp...sorry, had to go there.