
We had our branch heritage night last night. It's an annual event where all the members bring books, pictures, and foods that represent our different heritages/cultures. Last year I made German potato pancakes, which were a complete flop (no pun intended). So this year I chose to present my Texas heritage, hoping that Frito Pie and pecan pie would earn better reviews. The pot and pans came home empty, so I think it was a good choice.
As I was trying to decide what to put on the Texas display, Michenna suggested that we somehow use the state flower, the state bird, etc. Here's the final quiz from the Texas table:
CAN Y'ALL NAME . . . (Sorry, Mom, I know you hate "y'all", but it was a Texas table.)
Hard?!:
. . . the state flower?
. . . the state bird?
. . . the state nickname?
Harder:
. . . the state tree?
. . . the state motto?
. . . the state dish?
. . . the state fruit?
. . . the state reptile?
. . . the state snack?
. . . the state mammal (large)?
Hardest:
. . . the state dinosaur?
. . . the state mammal (small)? [Hint: I've never seen a live one]
. . . the state molecule? [No, I'm not making this up]
(Answers will be posted tomorrow. Correct answers will be posted . . . just kidding. :) I will post the correct answers tomorrow.)
I was also the runner-up in the Filipino Tinikling (bamboo stick dancing) competition. One of the elders won, but I think the contest was rigged. :) Since the prize was a can of mixed fruit, I don't feel too bad about it.
6 comments:
I don't know the answer to some of these. I'm looking forward to reading the real answers. I'm betting the state small mammal is an armadillo though since you gave such a great hint!
Here are my guesses with no help from google but plenty of suggestions from my Texan husband ;)
state flower - blue bonnet
the state bird - mockingbird
state nickname - lone star state
state tree - pecan
state motto - remember the alamo
state dish - BBQ
state fruit - peach
state reptile - rattlesnake or cotton mouth
state snack - chips
state mammal (large) - cow
state dinosaur - tyrannosaurus rex: "the biggest, baddest, dinosaur that ever lived"
state mammal (small) - armadillo
state molecule - hmm, what's the biggest one? um, no idea, in fact, the table of elements I'm picturing in my head right now is completely blank... let's go with hydrogen
Do I win a can of fruit???
I could send you some dried mangoes. They're pretty popular on Guam. I'm not sure how well the can of fruit would travel . . . :)
The only thing I think of when I ponder Texas is the greatest football team in the Universe... God's Dallas Cowboys...
And incidentally, I want some German Potato Pancakes. I've always wanted to try them.
Amen, Brother Elvis, amen.
Mmmm... dried mangoes. That sounds so yummy. If you ever feel like sending some, I wouldn't refuse. :)
Post a Comment