Thursday, April 10, 2008

A New Perspective: Scenic Views from Guam

We wanted to show everyone how beautiful Guam is. So we took pictures of some of our favorite places and found some new places to show you.

This is the view from Sander's Slope on base. When we reached this point during our first trip out to Tarague Beach, I just gasped. The pictures really don't do it justice.


We found the Scenic Overlook up by the squadron buildings. (Spencer had looked for it before with no luck. The turn-off is just after the sign that says "Danger: Keep Out".) Michenna and I were enjoying the view and the sound of the ocean, until a live shell exploded on the artillery range far below us. Then we jumped about 10 feet in the air and high-tailed it back to the car.

Guam is the home of the "War in the Pacific National Historic Park". Today we revisited Asan Overlook . . .

. . . and stopped for the first time at Fonte Plateau. There is probably more to it than these 2 doors, but we were trying to outrun a huge rainstorm, and this is the only picture we had time to take.

More pictures from this week:

A banana spider (they're everywhere!)


An Ifit tree, the official tree of Guam

The tail section of a damaged B-52. The wreckage was scattered into the jungle by a typhoon and uncovered by a later typhoon.


The baby birds that were trapped in our stove-top vent (that was truly an adventure!)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Guam is a beautiful island. I hope you'll take note of the most beautiful places so we can see them when we come. I think the spider is really pretty, too, although I wouldn't want him living in my house! I can't wait to hear about the baby birds. That sounds like an interesting story!